From January 14, 2016, the creative process of the Batumi Puppet and Youth Theater continues in the reconstructed building. The historical building with its one floor and summer space has been granted the status of a cultural heritage monument.

The desire to establish a puppet theater became a reality in the 1930s. According to information preserved in historical sources, the Puppet Theater in Batumi was solemnly opened in 1936 with the play "Kako Oynebi". A bilingual section worked and offered the children performances based on various works in both Georgian and foreign languages. Batumi Puppet Theater of that period was supported by the "Charity Society of Muslim Georgia" under the leadership of Memed Abashidze. According to historical sources, this very fact was the reason for the closure of the puppet theater in 1938. It was possible to continue this work professionally only since 1980, when the permanent State Puppet Theater was launched in Batumi. The famous Georgian puppeteer, professor Givi Sarchimelidze, who trained many puppet theater actors and directors, was appointed as its main director. The State Theater participated in international festivals and competitions, collaborated with various artists and composers, enriched the repertoire and developed year by year.


Contact info:
#49, M. Abashidze st., Batumi
www.puppet-show.org
(+995)422 27 62 34 , (+995) 422 27 05 93
info@puppet-show.org
Share

Similar places

Batumi Mosque
Batumi Mosque

Cult buildings Batumi

st.barbara's church
st.barbara's church

Cult buildings Batumi

st.nicolas church
st.nicolas church

Cult buildings Batumi

batumi's catherdral church
batumi's catherdral church

Cult buildings Batumi

Miracle Park
Miracle Park

Cult buildings Batumi