Machakhela National Park was founded in 2012. Located 30 km from Batumi in Machakhela gorge.
The park area is 8733 hectares. 95% of the park is covered with forests.
The territory of the park is divided into 3 zones:
1. Reserve zone - 1178.2 hectares
2. Regulable protected area- 350.9 hectares
3. Traditional use zone - 7203.9 hectares
The main attraction of the park is a unique type of relict plants that are listed in the Red Book of Georgia: Colchis boxwood, chestnut, Colchis nut, Georgian nut, rhododendron, yew and elm.
The fauna of the national park is very rich. It is represented by such animals as roe deer, martens, wolves, jackals, badgers, squirrels, wild boars, as well as the brown bear, chamois, and lynx listed in the Red List of Threatened Species.
There are 2 tourist routes in the park:
1. The path of the Archangel. The 8.3 km trail begins in the village of Sindieti, goes through forests, mountain streams and springs to the Archangel Mountain.
2. Kokoleti trail. The length of the trail is 6 kilometers. It runs through mixed deciduous and coniferous forests. There is a place for camping, and 1.6 km from it there is a platform with a panoramic view of the mountains, views of the Turkish territory and the old villages of Machahela gorge.
In order to plan and organize a hiking tour in Machakhela National Park, please contact the administration of the Visitor Center.
More detailed information about the services of Machakhela National Park is available on the website of the National Parks of Georgia www.nationalparks.ge
Tel: +995 595 08 60 75
How to get to the park
• By municipal transport (minibuses) fare 2 GEL
Kveda Chkhutuneti - Batumi 7:00 a.m.;
Batumi - Kveda Chkhutuneti 4:00 p.m.;
Zeda Chkhutuneti – Batumi - 09:00 a.m.;
Batumi - Zeda Chkhutuneti - 12:30 a.m.
• As part of an organized or individual excursion.
• By taxi (about 80 GEL)
For more information on transport and guides, call Tourist Information Centers (Tel: +577 90 90 91/93), or to travel agencies, whose contacts can be found on the website of the Department of Tourism and Resorts of Adjara – www.gobatumi.com
National parks and gardens